Tuesday, August 21, 2012

No Turning Back


Well, guys, this is it! There’s no turning back now. I’m officially in Zambia!

After coming up to Harding on Thursday to see some people before leaving for three months and saying bye to my Mom who I probably won’t get to talk to much, our group departed for HUT on Friday afternoon. The send off was very emotional. I was doing well holding back my tears until Kelly prayed over Holly and me. I am definitely going to miss my little Harding family (yes, Cierra, Kaitlyn, and Kelly, that means you). I am so blessed to have the friends and family that I have. 

Our time at HUT was packed with both fun and class. Before we got out there we got to go swimming at the Fouts Farm. It was nice to have some fun before we dove straight into  our Missionary Anthropology class. The rest of our weekend was basically class and bonding time. Sunday we had worship in the amphitheater. Some former HIZzers came out to worship with us. We learned some new songs in Tonga. That made me so excited to worship with our brothers and sisters in Africa! It’s so crazy to think that halfway around the world there are people gathering to worship and praise the same God and Creator that we do here in the United States.

Today was basically filled with packing and cleaning up the Smith building at HUT. Jeffery Hopper and some others came to give us some last minute advice and to have lunch before we left for the airport. Once we got to the airport, it took us a while to get checked in, but going through security went pretty smoothly, although I did get a pat down because my necklace showed up on the x-ray. I guess it’s not really a good thing to be so ticklish in times when you’re supposed to be serious! Oh well.. 

Both of our long flights went very well! We made our connection in Amsterdam and so did all of our luggage. Well, with the exception of Phil’s suitcase with all of his clothes. I’m sure we’ll figure something out! We had a short ride to the Portea Hotel, which is very nice might I add. We unloaded, got our roommates, and headed up to our room. We got to take one last hot shower for the next 3 months. 

It all hasn’t hit me yet. I don’t feel like I’m really going to be living in Zambia for 3 months. I’m sure it will sooner or later, but as of now, I feel like it’s just a little vacation. I can’t wait to get settled in our houses and rooms tomorrow, or should I say later today? Either way, I’m still very excited to actually see where I’ll be living for the semester! 

I’m here. This is what I’ve been preparing for for the last year.

This is it, guys. There’s no turning back. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you made it to Zambia safe and sound and I know God is watching over you always. I'm so proud of my little Pet Pet for being such a brave world traveler and taking on such an exciting adventure. Keep your eyes open (when you're not sleeping) for the wonderful people God places in your path along the way. You know I'm no Biblical scholar, but one of my favorite quotes and songs is the one about "whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me"... and "when I was hungry, you fed me - when I was thirsty, you gave me to drink". Let's share all of the blessings God has given us.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete