Thursday, August 23, 2012

Our First Full Day


What a day today has been! We started off with breakfast and orientation in the morning. Megan Hawley gave us a good talk about what to expect from the Havens and aunties. We also got to hear a little of the Merritt’s story from Kathy. She’s such a servant of God and I only hope one day I can be like her! 

We had our first traditional Zambian meal of nsima, cabbage, tomato sauce stuff, chicken, and rice. Every Thursday we have traditional food for lunch. I must admit, it was pretty darn tasty! After lunch we put our sunscreen and hats on, filled our water up and made the 1.5 mile trek up to the Havens. While we were walking, Megan assigned babies to those who wanted them. She gave me Tim in Haven 1 and Marisa in Haven 3. Once we got there, we toured the havens and each of us were introduced to the aunties and our babies that we’ll be working with for the next 3 months. Tim (1 year) is such a cutie! He looks like a little man! Our goals for my time here is for him to start walking and saying words! Marisa (11 months) is in Haven 3 and that’s where the sick babies live. Our goals are to get her more comfortable on her stomach, a stronger core, and to get her vocalizing! 

We ended our tour at Haven 2 where the toddlers live. They are a handful, that’s for sure! We were told we had an hour to do whatever we wanted, so I went to Haven 3 to spend some time with Marisa! When I got there she was lying in her crib with her bottle. She still had some left, so I picked her up and let her finish it while I sat in a rocking chair. Once she was finished I stood up to walk around with her and before I got out of the room, she threw up on me! And it wasn’t just a little spit up, it was like Ole Faithful was erupting! I was fine, though. I was more concerned about her and the other children’s well-being. I hope she’s not too sick. After Christine, one of the aunties, got me cleaned up, I got to spend some time with Leo! He’s such a precious boy! I sat with him in my lap while Marisa and her sister Maya sat in some booster chairs next to us. It’s so surreal to finally hold babies that you have been praying for all summer! 

After about 30 minutes in Haven 3, I made my way over to Haven 1 so I could spend some time with Tim before it was time to leave. I sat on the couch with several others and their babies and got Timmy to clap! Before it was time to leave, I got Tim to walk back to his crib using my hands to keep him from falling! He’s already doing so well!

We walked back and started unpacking a container before it was time for dinner. I really don’t think there’s such a thing as a bad meal here in Zambia! Ba Leonard is spoiling us, for sure! After dinner, Holly and I made our first adventure to the shower house! We started by killing a wasp. Halfway through my shower, a HUGE spider came crawling into my shower and scared me half to death! Right as I wrapped my towel around myself, another wasp came flying in my stall and landed on me! I smacked it off of me, but then it landed on Holly and it stung her through her shirt! I ended up killing it with her Chaco. Now, I’m sitting in the living room of our house with Aubrey and River who are journalling and Molly who is passed out asleep on the couch! There’s about an hour before tea time which I am very much looking forward to, as well as bed time! 

Until next time, guys.

2 comments:

  1. Wow not only a spider but a wasp too! It sounds like you had a eventful day..sounds like your first Christmas when you threw up all over me at Church! Love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pet - I'm forwarding this message to you from Cousin Joe "Jofus" who lives in Arizona:



    Hi Petra



    I am an inspired first cousin to the Malmquists and that comes with a big, big emphasis on inspired. They are blood relatives, of course, but on a far deeper level they saved my life when I was a little guy trying to navigate some challenging waters during some turbulent times in my own family upbringing.



    I only have love and the deepest respect for your Dad. For me he will always be one of "My Malmquist Heroes". Perhaps I could invite you to share with those you serve what your Dad and his wonderful family shared with me during my own difficult times.......make each person you engage with (especially the children)Petra ....make each of them feel better about themselves. Whether it be with your encouraging words, or with your joy or with your touch or with your smile. That is the kind of human/spiritual connection that God wants for all of us, isn't it?



    And guess what! When you do that you will get an added bonus.....you will feel better about Petra. And you also know that is what God wants for all of us.



    Whatever we give to others will always come back to us.



    You are doing great work and you are making a wonderful contribution to your fellow man.



    I respect you!



    Cousin Joe White aka Jofes

    ReplyDelete